Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pick Your Poison

I've always liked this expression and since it originally refers to alcohol it's perfect for me.  But today, I'm thinking of it as an expression for finding different ways to be active; there's so many ways to explore.  I'm not just a runner anymore and this is how it happened; bear with me and I think you'll see where I'm going with this...

Summer 2009, after a very grueling Spring USTA tennis season; lots of hard fought singles matches and the team had made it to the NC State Tournament in Pinehurst; I was really hurting.  I went to a Orthopedic Surgeon about one of my knees; I had really tweaked it.  Young Dr; very nice; basically says most likely there is a tear in my meniscus (MRI somewhat inclusive), but suggests strengthening my quads and hamstrings and see if that doesn't help the situation; says surgery just not a 100% guarantee to fix situation.  The word surgery scared me enough to try his suggestions of strengthening the other parts of my legs.  It just made sense to me.  I really had only been running and playing tennis, so I knew I had been overusing the same muscles and could stand a fitness overhaul.  Around this time, our fitness center added a young female trainer and we started doing a Bootcamp program; lots of push ups, lunges, squats etc.  My knee didn't feel great, but I could get through the training babying it.  Then I did a couple personal training sessions with the new female fitness instructor to specifically work on hamstrings, core, and upper body strength.  This is the training that really turned things around for me.  Old expression, but "knock on wood", I have not had knee pain since. 

Honestly, I had belonged to a fitness center for years and had never used it.  I had read the book, http://bodyforlife.com/ and knew I should be doing more strength training; had dabbled at it at different times, but just wasn't committed to it.  If you're looking for a program and don't want to go to a gym or don't belong to one this is a good program.  I've seen people use it and get amazing results.

To be active and get fit there are so many choices.  Don't pigeon hole yourself into one thing.  Don't tell yourself there's anything you can't or won't do.  I used to say I didn't like group fitness and now I do (as long as it doesn't call for a step!)  Previously, I would walk into the equipment area of the fitness center and walk out because I didn't have a plan; but now I do and I enjoy it and can see the results.  I didn't know I could swim; it's been quite awhile since I was on the swim team at the Twin Valley Recreation Center; probably summer of 1975.  I had to give up good hair; but that's okay.  I'm open to finding new "poisons"; join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment