Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Great article from last year -

March 23, 2010 -- Weight gain with age is common. But middle-aged women who start out at a healthy weight and get in an hour of moderate activity every day can avoid weight gain, according to a new study.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=114700

Good News:  tennis counts as "moderate exercise".

I've had periods of my life where I'd designate certain days as exercise days.  That's stopped now. Everyday is an active day.  The problem with saying okay Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are my exercise days is too many variables happen that can prevent activity on those days like somebody's sick, you don't feel good, some weird family emergency happens etc. it's just too restrictive for real life.  If you plan for something everyday, emergencies are still going to happen, but then most likely you'll get in 4-5 days of exercise and not 0.  I'm enjoying changing it up with what the exercise is to prevent injury and overuse.  I mix in some yoga and pilates for stretching and toning and they just feel good.  I did recently try my second spin class in a year and thought I was going to die (seriously).  That is freaking hard!  You spinners are crazy (and I mean that in the nicest of ways).  Spinning seems very extreme to me which is attractive in some aspects and not so much in others (the groups extreme production of heat and stinky sweat was almost too much to bare).  I'm going to give it the 3 strike rule to see if I really don't like it or it was just the uncontrollable breathing (my heart felt like it was going to break free of my chest), sweating and numbness in my legs I wasn't enjoying.  The instructor's beautiful "fake" boobs bobbing back and forth on her bike did make me consider that consultation a little more seriously; oh but I digress.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/31/dr-ozs-12-best-diet-tips/

Bad News:  Anything other than water is probably not great for you.

I'd swear I thought Dr Oz said if you gave up "diet soda" you'd lose 10 pounds in a year because of all the sodium.  Anyway, according to this article he must of meant regular soda.  The point is sugary drinks are added unnecessary calories.  I remember when the kids were all babies and my doctor would ask me if I was drinking enough water I'd say, "if it doesn't have caffeine or alcohol in it, I'm not interested."  Now, I've somewhat changed my view on this statement.  I maintain that water doesn't make me feel full, but it does make me feel better.  The Stylski house doesn't stock soda.  Soda is a treat.  I don't think that's an unreasonable plan and a simple one. 

The Ugly:  New Diet Pill called "Alli"

http://www.thewvsr.com/alli.htm

He's not kidding.  Lot's of funny stories regarding Alli.  Funny but wrong - very, very wrong. 

So it's back to what you've known all along for successful "Spring Training", exercise, drink water, and  eat healthy foods in healthy portion sizes.  There is no magic to live your most healthy life other than the magic you can create in yourself by feeling great about what you've accomplished that day; one day at a time.  That's life - join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment