Wednesday, March 23, 2011

From Patrick

My son Patrick wasn't named for a family member or my love of  "St Patrick's" day.  You're gonna love this one.  Think tennis...1997... US Open HOTTIE...yep, Patrick Rafter.  I was on bed rest incubating the boys and totally had a teenage crush on Patrick Rafter.  If I could have scored a poster, I would have put it on my wall like Shaun Cassidy back in the day.  In the end he is a "St Patty's" day Patrick; blue eyes, freckles, and a great sense of humor (a little mature for his age at times).  He is whimsical like a leprechaun.  He is creative and very bright.  He makes me laugh.  He makes everyone laugh which I'm pretty sure gets him into a little trouble in school at times. 

This is a special note Patrick gave me on my birthday this Sunday:

"Mom,

Your job in this house is to help and protect your kids and make life for us a whole lot easier and I think you're doing a fantastic job at that.  You don't need to make money!  I hope you still exercise and do very well in your (life is short) triathlons or marathons.  You are not going to give DAISY my best friend away because if you do I will run away!!  Keep up the good work with your job!"

"Out of the mouths of babes".  That note made me feel like Patrick likes and respects me.  He's deep for a 13 year old.  He makes me feel good about myself.  He's special.  I know he's going to choose to dance (probably too much at times), but I will always be a supporter.  Sorry Patrick, the jury's still out on Daisy's future even with the threat of your early departure.  I love you and hope you'll stay anyway.

My job has become a lot easier these days.  I try to mother to the best of my abilities and still make time for me.  My kids respect my activities and passions in life.  Being a good mother doesn't have to mean being completely enveloped in your kids; they want you to be you; what else are you going to have when they are gone?  Join me...

No comments:

Post a Comment