Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Napping Nirvana

There's so many articles on the benefits of napping you have to have seen at least one.  I'm a huge believer in a little power nap.  There's nothing better than shutting down for a few minutes in the middle of the day and recharging.  Everyone can do it, but you have to want to and make it happen.  For me, napping is nirvana.

When my kids were little, I was considered a "Napping Nazi".  There were no exceptions.  There was a strict nap time and everyone abided by it.  Friends and family knew 1-3p was a no call zone.  Kudos to moms that can survive a non napping kid, but I'm going to say in general it's not the kid that's non napping; it's the mom that can't shut down.  My kids took 2 hour naps until they went to school and were part of the minority that might have fallen asleep during nap time in kindergarten.  I didn't sleep for 2 hours every time they took a nap, but I got a little shut eye and then was much more capable of getting things done (and I'm guessing was a much nicer mom). 

Napping skills may be genetic (I'm not ruling this possibility out).  My parents probably still take a little nap everyday and I know at least one of my sisters tries to slip one in.  When we're together as a family for a holiday, there's a nap shut down time in the afternoon for everyone; no exceptions.  If you're not napping, you better find something quiet to do.  It's so fun to climb in with one of my nieces or nephews, snuggle up, read a book and then snore the afternoon away together.   Side bar; sometimes the nap may be a requirement due to raging Happy Hour the night before or preparing for the current day's Happy Hour; that's just how holiday's work in the Burns house.  Second side bar: if you've ever had one of my dad's drinks, you understand the need for napping in Kennett Square.

My kids are embarrassed now at my napping antics.  I'm never opposed to driving them to gymnastics, tutoring, or tennis lessons etc.  Know why?  My car is the best napping zone ever.  First off, Daisy (my dog) is not around to bark.  I swear she has a keen sense of when I'm trying to score a little shut eye at home (and you know she loves to torture me).  Every movement outside is an excuse to bark (thank god for the shock collar as previously mentioned).   When left with a few spare minutes in my car, I just find a nice shady parking spot, put my chair in recline, sometimes put my feet out the window and pass out.  It's awesome!!  I wake up refreshed and ready for the next activity. 

So when I say I got up before 6am, ran, played tennis and swam, you now know my secret; I took a little nap.  And it was nirvana - join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment