Monday, May 2, 2011

The Triathlon Story

Saturday was the day of my first Triathlon.  Great day; loved it!  I'll start off by admitting I was lost trying to find Tri location.  Keep in mind this is at 6:15 am.  If you know me well, you know that I'm directionally challenged.  I had directions from Google Maps.  On the way, I decided I didn't like their directions and started going my own way.  Pulled over at first gas station when I felt like I was close and they gave me directions to similarly named athletic club, but not correct one; whoops!  After arriving there and deciding that wasn't the right place went into second gas station.  Got great directions (from 2 old country boys).  These new directions didn't have street names for the most part and included going down a unnamed dirt road.  I past a few deer and saw the sunrise.  It was a beautiful car ride and finally arrived where I was supposed to be my typical 10 minutes late. 

Great idea to sign up for Triathlon with 25 year old fitness instructor and friend.   Worst idea ever: putting the same expected swim time as 25 year old fitness instructor.  They put you in numerical order based on estimated swim time.  I was number 46 out of 257.  Privately, in my head, I was in total panic mode.  We had not swam in 6 weeks due to pool fiasco and other assorted reasons.  I knew I had planned to just muscle my way through, but hadn't anticipated 200 people watching me breast stroke (aka doggy paddle, aka jog, aka basically just try to not drown).  I couldn't breath after the first 2 laps.  Really -  I just couldn't catch my breath.  Funny, I only got passed by number 47 (Liz, a professional Tri lady) and number 48 (a 36 year old male).   My Tri buddy and I looked cute though because we were the only girls in swim suits (that's what I'm telling myself).  Everyone else had on swim wear that you could bike and run in.  Getting out of the pool was hilarious.  I couldn't feel my legs.  Did a very precarious fast walk to bike area.  Had previously stated that the biking would be like "taking a walk in the park".  I'm eating those words.  I had only biked twice to train, but both times were a 25 mile course and I faired pretty well.  This was only 14 miles, so I thought it would be a piece of cake.  I enjoyed the bike part the best but saying it was easy is silly.   One of the ladies (say number 67), tried  to pass me on the bike ride.  I'm sure she was thinking to herself, surely I can beat "doggy paddler".   She was only a head of me for a little.  After her husband and children cheered her on,  I decided, "doggy paddler", was going to make her move.  Getting off the bike to run is interesting.  Again, your legs feel like jello, but you're so happy to be in the final stage.  You know at this point you're going to make it.  Running is my favorite thing to do, but this was the hardest 5k I've ever run.  One foot in front of the other is what I kept telling myself.  I refused to walk.  I made it.  I had a 33 year old tell me "she hopes she can kick ass like me when she's my age".  That was a little hard to take.  I didn't think I was that much older.  Jeez.  Having your age on your calf seems harsh at first.  But since I beat that 33 year old, I'm okay with it now. 

So good news - you can participate in Tri's as a relay team.  You can even have fun names.  My Tri buddy has a buddy who only wants  to swim.  She's 26.  This could be the answer to my prayers.  I've already named us, "The Kitten and The Cougar". 

In the long run, we finished.  My buddy got 3rd for her age group (awesome)!  I finished 9 out of 12 for my age group and 158 out of 257.  I feel really good about that.  The 40-44 and 45-49 ladies competition was fierce.

There is nothing better than spending a beautiful day in an athletic competition.  That is my opinion.  I can't wait to do more.  I'm doing the Race for the Cure in June with my daughter.  Signed up for the Philadelphia half marathon in September.  If all goes well, should be in the Cary City Ladies 4.0 Tennis playoffs in 2 weeks.  I'm having fun.  I felt great in my skinny jeans on Saturday night, another total bonus.  This week, I'm going to enjoy this beautiful Spring weather and get some great workouts in.  Have really been doing well cooking and eating healthier.  I feel good; join me!!

BTW:  My few pictures are on a Walgreens disk that is giving me huge fits on editing.  I can't deal with it anymore so sorry for the boring pic and sideways one.  I'll keep working on it!

1 comment: