Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Best Beauty Bets

I love beauty products.  I was so excited when my "InStyle" 150 Best Beauty Buys issue showed up at my house recently.  I have a friend who worked in the business who swears it's all fixed.  She swears there's a salesperson who's responsible for selling a beauty product who wines and dines the "InStyle" Beauty Editor and bing; the product is published as the best beauty product.  I can't believe it.  Say it ain't so........

One of my 3 sisters is a "hair stylist"; I think that's the politically correct professional label these days.  I'm so jealous of her talent and ability to work in the beauty business every day.  We've always been beauty product junkies.  My mom wouldn't let us use drugstore make up.  When we were old enough to wear make up, my mom took us to the Clinique counter for a makeover.  Now, let's be honest, I was sneaking this beautiful Robin's Egg Blue Maybelline eye shadow for a while until I got caught forgetting to wash it off before I got home.  I can vividly remember borrowing it from a friend and applying in Home Economics class.  The Clinique 3 Step cleaning was great then and their "Black Honey" lip gloss is still a classic favorite.  I took my daughter to the Clinique counter just for tradition when she turned 13.  She really wasn't impressed.  "Mac" is cooler or really she's happy playing in the drugstore and since it's my wallet now, I say there's a lot of great and less expensive cosmetics in Walgreens!

My two favorite beauty places in Cary are these:  I bought a http://www.livingsocial.com/ deal for a LED treatment at http://www.bloomskinspa.com/.  Love this place and the line of products they use, "Eminence" is awesome!  I'm not sure about the affects of the LED treatments, but I got a good deal and I have a few more treatments to go so we'll see.  My other favorite beauty stop is http://www.tsiskin.com/.  This is more of a clinical beauty stop, but they can do almost anything; Chemical Peels, Blue Light, Laser, Skin Cancer checks, Botox, etc.  My teenagers even love it here because they have great Acne treatments that work!!  I promise you won't be disappointed in either of these places.

As far as beauty products go, I do have a few personal faves that I can't help but rave about -

Face Skin Care - Obagi is the best treatment line.  I'm enjoying "Eminence" http://www.eminenceorganics.com/  right now which is organic, natural, very mild and soothing.  Honestly, cost wise, you can't go wrong with Cetaphil (available everywhere).  I've never noticed any big difference between eye creams, face creams so have it.  Unless, they're Obagi or prescription I think they just make us feel good.

Sun Care - Love "Banana Boat Baby Tear Free spf 50, Won't Sting Eyes, Hypoallergenic and Waterproof".  This stuff is awesome.  I can run, play tennis etc and it doesn't run in my contacts and make my vision blurry.

Skin Care - Any skin care would be good if I actually used it.  I don't know about you guys, but I don't typically sit around spreading lotion on my body but.....my sister Megan turned me onto "Sephora's Extra Butter Body Lotion" and it is the bomb!!  Love Bath and Body for body washes etc. but don't notice a big difference in line of body washes and scrubs.

Shampoo - curly haired friends check out http://www.devaconcepts.com/ (life changing).  Kerastase is great; I agree with "In Style" here.

Gray Roots - http://www.clairol.com/niceneasy/roottouchup/index.jsp  Go to between color appointments.  Just found Rita Hazan spray to cover grays; http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P282611 awesome!

Make up - it's all fun!  My recommendation: go with a friend for lunch and have a make over at any counter.  So fun!!  I do love Dior mascara.

Perfume - anything http://www.jomalone.com/  so yummy!

As far as the "In Style" Best Beauty Buys issue; I'm convinced that Jennifer Aniston and I have so much in common.  Her beauty faves for "light" skin are right on and I'm enjoying a few new beauty purchases thanks to her suggestions.  Silly- maybe; but fun; absolutely - it's never to late to teach and old dog new tricks right?  So if you've used the same lipstick for years; it's time to get out and get a new one.  And the good news is even if you're not feeling your slimmest; you can always find a lipstick that fits perfect; join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment