Monday, February 21, 2011

Namaste

At the end of yoga class, we often acknowledge our teacher and each other with an ancient salutation: Namaste. The divine light in me honors the divine light in you.

My daughter is 15 today.  She celebrated last night with 5 dear friends enjoying dinner and endless hours of WII Just Dance.  They were happy and drama free and I hope they appreciate how when life is simple and you're with people who make you feel loved it is joyful.  I really think they get it.

Now, my girl is not going to be a Superstar in anything measurable by today's High School parents standards.  She goes to a school of over 2000 high achieving kids.  To make a team, you better have perfected your skills since you were a wee one or you don't stand a chance.  I know, I know - there's Cross Country (a no cut sport) that she could participate in.  I'm not one to make excuses for my kids but have you seen my girls feet?  To quote her podiatrist father (who should know), "those paws were not made for running".   Trust me when I tell you, I have tried a lot of different things to no avail - until recently when we fell into yoga together. 

So what she may lack in a particular athletic skill she makes up for in personality and if she applies herself she is academically bright.  She has a light in her that you can't teach, buy, or coerce; it's just there.  When she walks in a room and smiles; she makes everyone smile.  She is a kind friend, daughter and granddaughter.  She listens.  She laughs.  She lives.  Namaste Francine...

No comments:

Post a Comment