Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"It's What's For Dinner"

I am the oldest of five children.  If you haven't picked up on it already; I'm a little bossy.  I may be a little bit of a control freak (have definitely softened with age and twin boys).  I like to be Queen of my castle; mainly my kitchen.  When it comes to raising kids, it's not often that you feel like a Queen, but I can make sure they know that I am the boss.

Love the picture of me when I was probably around 3 years old, asleep in a white high chair with succotash spread all over the tray.  Remember succotash; Lima beans, peas, and corn all mixed together?  To this day, I still don't like Lima beans.  That night was a stand off.  One of many, I'm know my mom suffered through with 5 kids.  She was (and still is) definitely Queen of her castle.  She won that night; I'm sure I saw that succotash for breakfast.

I love hearing other people's memories of me feeding my kids when they were babies.  One friend remembers seeing us at the baby pool; the three of them lined up on towels, and me feeding them assembly line style with jars and jars of food.  I have to say feeding kids at the pool or ocean totally rocks because you can just throw them in the water for clean up.  Another friend remembers us at Pullen Park; the three of them in the triple stroller with their little hungry mouths open and me tossing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the air.  They would kind of catch a piece like a seagull.  They wouldn't have said no to anything at this point; I think this is what is referred to as competitive eating.

Then it got tricky.  They started baulking me and tried to say no to eating random foods.  No way, no how was this going to fly in my castle.  I took a stand and I won (kind of like a 3rd set tiebreaker).  Listen, it wasn't pretty.  There were plenty of fights, plenty of tears (theirs and mine), and plenty of dinners saved for breakfast (this totally works).  At times, I'm sure to an outsider I looked like a crazy woman, but food is my passion and they were going to eat what I was serving or go hungry, period, the end.

Here's the deal breaker -  If your husband isn't in compliance with eating whatever you serve, you're most likely finished with the kids, sorry.  I'm lucky here; my husband eats whatever I make.  He might make a reference to something being too spicy; but he knows to not take that conversation any further.  Kids are so freaking smart even as babies; they will pick up on any and all dissension in the kitchen and use it to their advantage. If Daddy's not eating it neither are they.  I know this is a broad sweeping generalization, but more than likely true.   You can still try and good luck.

So moms with babies or about to have babies listen up; it happens at their first meal and you have to be ready for it.  They can sniff indecision; you have to be firm.  You have to take a stand immediately.  One slip up and they have you...they are the boss of you; it's your choice; it's a fork in the road.  Let them win and you could be serving up chicken nuggets for the next 20 years; think about it.

It's not too late to institute the rule; "It's What's For Dinner"; similar to "because I said so" or "mom said".  These statements are oldies but goodies.  That's it; it's so simple.  I believe in them.  You'll feel so empowered and free and that is a rare feeling as a mom.  You're the boss.  You're the Queen of your castle.  Join me...

No comments:

Post a Comment