Monday, April 25, 2011

Sandestin (Gulf Shores, FL) - Great Spot

Early February, when planning my family's Spring Break trip, we all agreed we wanted something tropical.  Checked out a lot of amazing places, but just couldn't pull the trigger on 5 $700 airfares and then 2 rooms (because of teenagers ages and sexes).  I am rounding off and estimating, but the Atlantis in the Bahamas was going to cost at least $12,000 for a week.   Good for you if this sounds reasonable; that's more than I want to spend to be on a beach for a week with my kids.  After a lot of research, the best I could come up with that would be warm, not a bad car ride, and offer some different scenery was the west coast of Florida.  It didn't fail to deliver. 

Pretty water, great fishing (we caught enough for fish tacos and some to bring home), great beaches, and great (reasonable) restaurants.  Our teenagers cooperated and in general acted happy to be with us.  That made it all worth it. 

We discovered a particularly good place called, "The Donut Hole".  I have never had a better donut.  Not part of "Spring Training" in anyway I know...bad, I was very bad.  I'm not going to name names but I wouldn't suggest a "Red Velvet" donut before a fishing excursion and sea sickness ensues; just sayin; it wasn't pretty; not at all....

So, we're back....I have my first Triathlon on Saturday.  I've had some great runs over vacation.  I'm going to muster up a lot of false bravado on Saturday and push my way through the swim and bike ride.   I can do it.  I'm not getting on the scale today - no way.  Was four donuts bad?  Seriously, they melted in your mouth.  I'm considering ordering the "Insanity" video and meal plan.  Anyone else in?  Back on track today, join me!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on Saturday...let me know how you make out! my first duathlon of the season is on sunday...going out for a bike ride in a few minutes...ran the oc boardwalk yesterday...5 miles...felt good!

    ReplyDelete