Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Road Trip

Growing up in a large family, you're very familiar with road trips.   Most vacations were taken by car.  Car trips were what you could afford.  Classic trips in the 70's were in a station wagon with no one strapped down.  It was a free for all.  At times, you were happy to get the "well" on the floor (there was a very hot piece of metal down there in the "well" you had to avoid; otherwise it was a good spot; the well was so deep in those old fashioned station wagons; you could really get comfy with a blanket and a pillow)! 

My boys are on a year round school schedule.  When they are off, I get an itch to get out of town. I can't help myself.  Most times I am not able to just get up and go because of their activities.  I've been missing in action recently because all of a sudden late last week, I realized they were off and we could go - so we did.  It was one of those spontaneous trips that just couldn't have gone any better.  Headed north on 95 later in the day Friday than usual for me and a road trip (cause I got a run in first).  Made it to PA in record  time.  Delicious dinner and great family time.  My kids really enjoy their mostly younger cousins.   They brought a buddy with them who was a joy to have around and manages to keep the boys entertained and not fighting.  Total bonus!  Had some fabulous runs with running mate sister.  Love the landscape of PA.  Rolling hills, horses, stone houses, lots of greenery - just beautiful.  No real agenda for the weekend; just enjoying each others company.  Headed back south on Monday through DC.  What a gorgeous day!  We walked from Union Station to the White House.  Spent some time people watching while sitting on a bench on The Mall.  It was awesome.  I have to say, normally I'm on a mission to get back and not dilly dally (it's a little scary being the only capable driver in my car on 95); but yesterday was different and special and definitely worth stopping.  I regretted the 6p Wawa coffee as sleeping was a no go with that much caffeine late in the day, but at least we made it home safe.

My dream is to have a Winnebago and drive around our beautiful country and see it all.  That will be an awesome road trip and one that I look forward to one of these days.   But siezing the moment when it presents itself is good for now; join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment