Monday, June 13, 2011

For My Mom and Friends

Wow, what an amazing experience Saturday's Susan B Komen Race For the Cure in the Triangle was for me, the people I shared the experience with and I'm sure the other 25,000 participants.  I was especially proud to be a Prestonwood Member and part of the Pretty in Pink Team.   Thank you to Ginny Weant and everyone that made that happen.  It was hard to stay together with so many people for any period of time, but it was comforting knowing we were participating in a good cause together.

I'm so lucky to have such strong women in my life.  My mom battled and survived breast cancer back in the early 80's.  I feel like she did it alone.  I'm sure she had help from her friends, but they would have all been swamped with their own families at the time.  I was the oldest and at the time a self absorbed college student I'm sure.  Her mother had already passed away.  You would never know to this day if she struggled at all.  She always had a brave face.  She was always worried more about us.  I pray I can be that strong when I need to be.  My two tennis friends at Prestonwood are equally as honorable.  Liz Fenton ran her first road race on Saturday and I saw nothing but shear joy on her face all morning to just be healthy and among such amazing people.  Jen Newnan, I don't know as well; but she ran it and from what I understand she hasn't let breast cancer slow her down.  What great role models. 

I did the competitive run at 7am.  Came in 17th out of 201 women ages 45-49.  Not bad for an "old broad", I can hear my dad say.  My daughter joined me for the walk at 8:45 (thanks to Kristy, busy mom of 4 for giving her a ride).  I think I accomplished two things with Francine Saturday morning;  #1 - we got to exercise together (always good) and #2 - she got to see an amazing show of grace and gratitude, she got to see the world is a bigger place than the Preston pool in her bikini with her friends, and she got to see it's good to give.

Time to sign up for a run I say for continued motivation for "Summer Training".  Think about the http://www.annas-angels.org/events-upc.html.  It's the Anna's Angels run and it's going to be super fun with a Halloween theme because it's on Sunday, October 30.  Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment