Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Check and Double Check

Was very excited about my appointment this week at the Healthy Diet Center in Raleigh, NC http://www.healthydietsinc.com/ .  They can do the test of your personal metabolic calorie rate (how many calories your body burns in rest), body fat percentage, and analysis of your daily diet etc...

Confirmed what I thought; the older you get the less you can eat.  Really, it is amazing how fast calories can add up.  We discussed one of my favorite diets; "Fit For Life".  Basically it's about daily exercise, how to mix foods and has a free day.  I love "free" eating days.  I've discovered they don't love me.  Why?  Because I don't think binging one day a week is A) a healthy mindset and B)I can ruin a week of good eating with 1 day of bad.  Maybe when they said free they didn't mean Kettle Chips, a corn dog and a hot fudge sundae.  Bottom line, I discovered through my meeting that a free day for me would be treating myself to a frozen yogurt or a glass of wine.  Yes, you read correctly - "a" glass of wine.   And my daily calorie intake has no room for any wine - whine!!!

I originally lost weight on Weight Watchers; love their program.  Really, the best way to know what you are taking in calorie wise is to keep track.  I'm a big fan of food journaling and love this site and am going to start using it today - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/.   Weight watchers also kept me honest with a weekly weigh in, otherwise I would live in a fantasy world.   You know the world where mysteriously your clothes are shrinking and you get really pissed at your dryer or dry cleaner for secretly sabotaging you.   I make myself get on the scale once a week (of course only completely naked after a serious workout before food). 

I don't take a vitamin, but my counselor did suggest adding a calcium supplement with vitamin D.  I'm going to check into that at Walmart.  I'll let you know what I find out.

So this is my sample day of healthy eating and within my calories to maintain my current weight (keep in mind this is with 1.5 hours of daily exercise):

Wake up - coffee and 1/2 banana

Breakfast - 1/2 cup of Oatmeal made w/1 c light vanilla soy milk w/little bit of raisins and almonds

Mid morning snack - Whey protein shake w/fruit, plain yogurt

Lunch - Zone bar if on the run or turkey sandwich

Snack - fruit or yogurt

Dinner - protein, carb and veggie (normal serving sizes)

I have been feeling a lot better having smaller meals more frequently.  I definitely try to think ahead and be prepared if I'm going to be out that I have something to snack on with me.  And yes, I am within my healthy weight/body fat %'s, but it is a battle.  We're all going to fall off the wagon sometimes.  I do frequently.  But I'm determined to continue to fight - join me!

1 comment:

  1. Lysa, keep us posted on your progress!
    We're happy to hear you're a ZonePerfect fan! Check out our VIP program at http://zoneperfect.com/offers for coupons, news and more! ~Brittany @ZonePerfect

    ReplyDelete