Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Parent Yourself

When the kids were little, I'll admit I was a little crazy about what they ate.  My twin boys went from breast feeding to pot roast and veggies (I  have eye witnesses to testify to that event).  I've labeled it "retro parenting" and think maybe a little bit of retro parenting is good.  What I mean about that is a lot of kids today have issues with food and it has more to do with control, than actually not liking what is front of them.  Our parents and generations before them would never let kids get away with eating what they eat now and actually being the one who decides.  I never gave them options.  There were a lot of tears, but I never let them win.  I probably appeared as a mean mom in public.  But the end result is my kids will eat anything.  I'm lucky, but I worked hard for it. 

We all start out with "try it", "take one bite",  "no dessert if you don't eat your dinner" and at some point we give up.  Stay with it.  Whose the boss?  That's my Ann Landers for the day.

As I started out with my JJ Virgin diet plan last Monday, I realized I needed to apply my "retro parenting" thoughts to my own self.   My thoughts on giving up dairy.  Okay, but no way can I have coffee without half and half.  Reality - coconut milk creamer is actually good and I wouldn't have known that if I wasn't willing to taste it.  I haven't had dairy (including 1/2 and 1/2 in 9 days).  Kale or spinach in a smoothie = disgusting.  That statement is wrong - you actually can't taste it (I can smell it though).   4 lbs down - I feel good and I do believe my psoriasis is subsiding.

Ah, ha moment for me.  If I apply my own parenting thoughts to myself, I can do anything or I can certainly give it a good try.  I am a huge Kelly Pickler fan and am actually inspired by her success on "Dancing with the Stars".  That girl grew up rough and did not come into "Dancing" with tons of dance recitals behind her.  She was amazing.  We can be too!  Join me in not being afraid to "taste" new foods and experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment