Thursday, June 6, 2013

Desparately Seeking Middle Ground

I was recently in a texting conversation with a friend discussing our new "diet" plan and "desparately seeking middle ground"  was my description of what I would like in regards to my "diet"  or as I like to now refer to as my "health" plan.  It seems like dieting is so extreme.  I'm either completely off the wagon and their is no food taboo (aka Fritos), I can't seem to shove enough in my mouth or I'm trying something a little cuckoo.  I don't consider what I'm doing cuckoo right now or drastic.  I'm trying to eliminate some foods to not necessarily lose weight, but more to see if I feel better.  So it's not so much as a "diet" as a new health regime.  The fact that I've heard it referred to as an "anti aging" eating plan is ensuring my dedication.

To know Lysa is to know that I have stomach issues.  I am not going to get too graphic here, but I wasn't voted "Iron Guts" in High School for nothing.  I've never taught myself to burp a whole song, but pretty sure if I was challenged I could rise to the task.  I definitely struggle thru severe gas and bloating, so much so that I physically feel sick.  I started realizing that dairy was a culprit when after a few sips of my kids milk shakes over the past few years, I didnt' feel good (total tongue in cheek when I say a few sips).  I tested eggs recently and realized they made me feel sick also. It's so interesting if you listen to your body what you learn.

Enter JJ Virgin.   You knew it was coming.  I happened to catch UNC TV's fundraising drive and she was on it.  Check out, JJ Virgins, "The Virgin Diet", Why Food Intolerance is the Real Cause of Weight Gain.  So the basic plan is to drop 7 foods, lose 7 pounds in 7 days.  The 7 foods to lose are soy, dairy, gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and sugar substitutes, and corn.  The plan outlined in the book is pretty specific.  So I have a group of ladies (yes, of course my sisters) and we have a group email and group text conversation where we share ideas and talk about how we feel.  This is so helpful.

So I confess, the first 2 weeks I dabbled.  My sisters were serious and experienced serious results.  I got 100% committed starting this past Monday.   You have to prepare for this health plan so you have on hand what you can eat.  I feel great.  I'm hoping to get rid of my psoriosis.  I've always heard gluten was a culprit of auto immune disorders so I'm hopeful.  I'm hopeful for less hours/days of burping and f......g,( I just can't bring myself to say or write the whole word).  My skin doesn't look bad, but if it could look better I'm game.

So yes, I'm desperately seeking middle ground in my middle age, (I'm hoping I'm still considered middle aged since I just bought Centrum (freakin) Silver = ugh). I've never taken a vitamin.  Oh, I've bought them, but threw them out unopened when they expired and I still hadn't taken one.  I'm trying to find some middle ground with my teenagers.  The boys are actually hosting a end of the year bonfire tomorrow.  Pray for rain.  Join me in finding the middle ground in pursuing a healthy life that is still inspired to try new things and never stop seeking to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment