Friday, January 18, 2013

Best "Mom Said"



Growing up in a big family, one of the most powerful phrases that you could use
to back you up was “mom said”.  Rarely did one balk at “mom said”. It was like
the “almighty and powerful oz has spoken”. I can scare myself just thinking of
that powerful moment in movie history and “mom said” worked the same in our
house.

Well, one “mom said” that I love to use now as a parent is “if you’re bored, you’re boring”. It is so true. It applies to me and my children often. If the thought runs thru my head, “I’m bored”. I can’t help but follow up with, “I must be boring”. And then I rack my brain for ways to try to
rectify the situation. There are so many productive things to do. But what’s wrong with doing nothing? Sometimes you just need to cut yourself a break. It’s a struggle for me to embrace doing nothing or at least not struggle with a little catholic guilt in not being productive or doing something
constructive.

So, I confess. I recently watched 8 straight hours of “Criminal Minds”. I curse my daughter for turning me on to this show. It is truly addictive. I recently watched the whole Season 1 of “Girls” on HBO in one sitting. This is what I consider doing nothing and certainly not productive in
anyway. I need to not feel guilty. Sadly, I wasn’t bored. I was entertained. Hell – it’s January and hopefully there’s a snow day in my future so my whole family can join me a guilt free day of doing nothing, and enjoy being bored together!

No comments:

Post a Comment