Monday, October 1, 2012

What To Tell My Daughter

In the words of a very dear friend's mother, "Marriage is not reform school.  What you see is what you get".  Oh yes, wise one... those are words to pass on....

Now, don't get me wrong.  I want my daughter to experience great love, great romance, great passion and I can't say much more cause she actually enjoys snooping on my blog.  She has an adorable boyfriend and they seem to enjoy a great friendship.  See this is where adults need a secret venue to share more thoughts that can't be read by their kids; similar to the reason that kids are no longer on Facebook (due to moms like me) and all have Twitter accounts and have made secret pacts to not let parents in.  Whatever........!!!!  Listen Zuckerman - the USTA has figured out a way to do 2 adult leagues - 18 and up and 40 and up - surely you can figure out the same for Facebook?!

What I am happy to share is this.........Be confident.  Be sure of what you need to make you happy.  Don't make any compromises on your expectations ever when making any romantic commitment.   Be selfish and single as longggggggggg as you can.  Never give up a way to be independent financially (I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. but it deserves another mention). 

Marriage may become only necessary as a way to legitimize your family.  Take Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.  They said they weren't going to marry unless it was legal for everyone.  Now, there's rumors they will marry.  The only reason I see this happening is because they are getting a lot of pressure from their children.  Children are the reason to marry and stay married.  I can't think of another critical reason at the moment, but I'll keep working on it.

This brings me to the stay at home mom vs working mom dilemma.  This is easy.  If  the smell of brownies in the oven don't give him a hard on, I strongly suggest keeping your day job.  If you meet a Renaissance man who adores the idea of June Cleaver - good for you.  But I think I've given you fair warning of the pitfalls of this choice.

Remember, mommy is always here for you.  Please don't ever go too far and leave me alone with all these boys - join me in my quest for you to be unencumbered for a very long time!



No comments:

Post a Comment