Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thank you Dr. Obvious!

My Philly marathon is a little over 6 weeks away.  I've been training for 8 weeks and I've had a few setbacks.  There was Labor Day weekend and too many margaritas (that was fun), there was the Achilles tendinitis, and then there was a little trip to the ER for  back spasms that literally brought me to my knees.  You may think I'm a little cracked, but I'm going to keep going.

I was at my sons football game a week ago.  One of my friends who is a big workout guy says, you know everything you do is on a hard service - road running - tennis.  You should probably do more cross training, chore work and stretching.

Well, thank you Dr. Obvious!  You are correct.  I have a little workout at the gym that I love that mostly involves upper body and chore.  I've just spent a few weeks in PT for my Achilles and they emphatically said if you don't stretch more you are going to be in serious trouble.

I'm heeding all advice. I was neglecting to do the other physical things I need to do to make running possible.  Marathon training, gym time and tennis take a lot of time and although it may appear that I have endless hours to do nothing (like blogging) it's not true; I'm just a very good multi tasker.  So sorry tennis buddies, but this alpha female at the moment prefers 2 hours on the road with head phones to a tennis match.  Physically, it's too much to do both.  I'm on a tennis hiatus.  Not permanent - watch out for me in the spring.  I'm only doing 1/2's after November I promise. 

Join Me in not neglecting the most important parts of being well rounded and fit - it can't just be one thing  - (even tennis)!

No comments:

Post a Comment