Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Desperately Seeking Spirituality

Sometimes, I'm more passionate about my search for spirituality than others.  I really fight my urge to believe in reincarnation because the alternative as I quickly approach 50 doesn't seem that great (oh, I know heaven is supposed to be fantastic, but I haven't heard any first hand reports so the jury is still out for me).  A few years ago, I knew I needed something more, so we tried a different church than what we had grown up in.  For me and my kids it works.   We could shop around more I suppose, but for right now we're comfortable at http://www.crosspointe.org/  I don't believe everyone needs something new - maybe some of us just to need to revisit what we have and reconnect.  Either way, our search for spirituality is important for our emotional health.

It's okay to church shop these days.  I remember someone saying, you can't change church just because you don't like the priest - not to put words in that person's mouth, but I bet they wouldn't say that anymore  It's important to find out what works best for you and your core family while still being respectful of other family members beliefs.  It's okay to be introspective.  You don't have to just dig your head in the sand, show up, shut up and give money.   It's not scary.  It's freeing.  Church is a personal decision and a family decision.  We have let our kids have more say in how we work as a family.  I want them to be kind, thoughtful, giving, spiritual human beings not just rule followers.  If they are not screaming, kicking and crying all the way and actually ask to go sometimes, I think we've made great improvements. 

Today is Election Day and another day off school for Wake County schools.   Our church and other churches across the United States are participating in something called Election Day Communion http://electiondaycommunion.org/join-us/

Basically, it's just about sharing time connecting as a church, agreeing that we're all in this together, joined by one force in the end.  We are supposedly, "One Nation Under God".  I can't come up with anything negative with that thought and prayer.  Join me in remembering "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" a little earlier than Christmas, but good timing nevertheless. 

PS:  To my Jewish friends - Mazel Tov!







No comments:

Post a Comment